Lesfurets explain to you in this guide the conditions for driving a car without a license . There are different models, some of which are accessible from the age of 14 under certain conditions. For example, it is possible for a young person to drive a Citroën AMI from this age! It is a practical transport solution for those who cannot drive a traditional car.
What is a car without a license?
A car without a license (VSP) is a type of light and compact car. It is designed to be driven without a specific driving licence. VSPs generally have a limited motor power, not exceeding 6 kW. The maximum speed is limited to 45 km/h. They are often equipped with a diesel or petrol engine. They have an automatic transmission.
VSPs can be two-seat or four-seat , with four-seat models being less common. They are often used for urban mobility, as an alternative to public transport. They are a solution for people who do not wish or cannot obtain the B permit.
There are different types of license-free vehicles: license-free cars or carts , and quadricycles . The first two are part of the category of light vehicles without a license. They can carry up to 4 people. The quadricycle is intended for utility missions. Although they are quite similar aesthetically and technically, these vehicles have varying uses and sizes.
- Cars without a license: these vehicles are generally used for daily trips, such as shopping or commuting to work. They are often equipped with modern technologies such as air conditioning, on-board computer, radio.
- Quadricycles: quadricycles are suitable for professional activities. They are generally larger and sturdier. They allow the transport of goods (PTAC of 550 kg maximum). Quadricycles come in two versions. The light ones can be used without a permit, the heavy ones require at least the B1 permit, accessible from the age of 16.
It is possible to find a car without a license adapted to your needs. It is not intended to travel great distances. It is intended for short journeys within a radius of 5 to 15 km. It is a possible alternative. It is available in an electric version to reduce its polluting emissions.
Who can drive a car without a licence?
The rules regarding the age and driving license requirements for driving cars without a license in France are as follows:
- To drive a car without a licence, you must be at least 14 years old for a two-seater VSP and 16 years old for a four-seater VSP. It is mandatory to have an AM driving license , replacing the old BSR (Road Safety Certificate) since 2021.
- The AM license can be obtained from the age of 14 . It is issued after a 7-hour training. This includes a theoretical part, then a practical part. This training allows you to learn the basics of safe driving and the specific rules for driving a VSP.
- People born before 1988 do not need a specific permit .
Even if driving a VSP does not require a Class B driving licence, drivers must respect other users on the road. The Highway Code and road safety rules are applicable to these vehicles.
Find your car insurance with lesfurets
Do you know the lesfurets online comparator ? In addition to saving you valuable time, using the car insurance comparator can allow you to save an average of €360 per year. Indicate the model of the unlicensed car, the type of coverage desired, the driving history and the driver’s personal information. lesfurets then offers you the offers of its partner insurers. You will then be able to compare car insurance quotes , then select the best offer. To save even more time in your search, you can take out your new contract online.