The four-seater unlicensed cars have more power than their two-seater siblings. They are also allowed to drive faster. Price, license required, insurance… here are the specificities of these vehicles.
What are the conditions for driving a car without a licence?
At what age can you drive a car without a licence?
You can drive a car without a two-seater license from the age of 14, provided you hold the AM license (formerly called BSR).
Do you need the highway code to drive a cart without a license?
No, by definition a motorist who drives a car without a licence, whether it has two or four seats, does not need to pass the highway code. On the other hand, you will need a specific license (AM or B1) to be able to drive your VSP.
Who can drive a car without a 4-seater license?
A 4-seater car without a license can be driven by an adult from the age of 16. This cart can reach a speed of 80 km/h, but is not allowed to use expressways and highways. You must pass the B1 license to be able to drive it. This simplified permit requires a few hours of driving and allows you to drive all vehicles with an automatic gearbox. However, you will not be able to drive any other type of vehicle with a manual gearbox.
Vehicles without a license 2 places, 4 places, what are the differences?
If at first glance they look alike, two-seater and four-seater cars without a license have some specificities:
2-seater cars without a license (light quadricycles) meet the following characteristics:
- their empty weight cannot exceed 350 kg
- they cannot exceed 45 km/h
- they have an automatic transmission
- they are prohibited from driving on expressways and on motorways
- the maximum power of their motor reaches 4 kW, or 5.6 horsepower
- its price is on average 10,000 euros
- their driver must at least hold the Road Safety Certificate (BSR), the equivalent of the AM license and be at least 14 years old to benefit from supervised driving
- drivers born before 1988 do not need it
4-seater cars without a license (heavy quadricycles) have the following specificities:
- they have a bench seat at the rear: this bench seat is designed to absorb shocks in the event of a possible third-party collision . Also, carrying four people is not necessarily safe .
- their empty weight may not exceed 450 kg .
- their maximum power can reach 15 kW, or 20 horsepower .
- they can drive at a maximum of 80 km/h
- it is equipped with an automatic transmission
- its price varies between 12,000 and 20,000 euros .
- motorways are also prohibited to them , as are expressways.
- the driver must have a B1 licence . You must be at least 16 years old to take this exam. The B1 license is valid for 15 years, then must be renewed.
- they are considered as a mini car than as a car without a license
Even if there are very few manufacturers on the market, you can find different models of cars without a license, both two-seater and four-seater. It’s up to you to choose according to the model of car you want, the price you’re willing to pay, but also the specifics of the car (number of seats to transport passengers, etc.).
What car insurance for a four-seater unlicensed cart?
Like any other motorized land vehicle, auto insurance is mandatory . The legal minimum required is third-party insurance , which includes, among other things, civil liability cover . The latter covers damage caused to other road users, whether physical or material. However, you will not be covered in the event of an accident. You will need to take out other guarantees to protect yourself and best cover your cart.
As this is the most basic unlicensed car insurance formula , additional guarantees are recommended to take into account all your needs:
- the guarantee against burnt cars : whether the fire is of criminal or mechanical origin, this guarantee covers all the damages related to it.
- the replacement value guarantee : an interesting option that allows you to be reimbursed up to the sale price of the vehicle. This guarantee is not included in all car insurance. Ask your insurer before subscribing.
- the collision damage guarantee : you should know that repairs to cars without a license can quickly represent a big budget. This is due to spare parts, which are expensive. Also, this guarantee is very appropriate in the event of a claim.
- the driver’s personal guarantee : it compensates you in the event of any injury or other bodily injury.
Table of Contents