Buying your car at auction saves 20 to 50%. Rental cars, seizures or fleet sales, these auctions are organized frequently and everywhere in France. Please note that precautions should be taken when buying a vehicle at auction to avoid unpleasant surprises.
What happens at an auto auction?
From the small city car to the large sedan, passing by the SUV or the recent minivan, the cars presented at auction are varied, both from the point of view of the model and the origin.
The cars that are the subject of the sale are presented the day before or in the morning. While it is in principle possible to start the engine, no test drive is possible.
All vehicles have a technical inspection carried out shortly before the sale. Be careful, however, because this verification only concerns the points imposed by the legislation. In the case of stolen and recovered vehicles or damaged cars, the auctioneer specifies this at the time of the sale. A description is also displayed on each car.
Car auctions are open to everyone, i.e. individuals, but also car sales professionals. Small and medium displacement models are more sought after than sedans and other large cars, so the difference between the selling price and the market price is less for the former.
Advantages of buying your car at auction
- The price: undoubtedly the main advantage. Vehicles featured may be police seizures or store liquidations, so buying a vehicle at auction can save you up to 50% .
- The good condition of the vehicle : in the majority of cases, the vehicles presented are reliable and in good condition. They have all benefited from a recent technical control or even, for some, from an expertise. Do not forget either that the auctioneers are sworn professionals, which represents a guarantee of seriousness and security.
- The possibility of finding the rare pearl: if you are a fan of rare models or collector cars, you will surely find what you are looking for by going through car auctions.
Risks of an auto auction
- The vehicle is sold as is: so take the time to assess the condition of the vehicle and check its history. Be accompanied by a professional or an experienced amateur.
- No warranty: if the manufacturer’s warranty no longer runs, it’s up to you to take out an additional mechanical warranty.
- Financing: the purchase of a car at auction is done in cash.
- No right of withdrawal, impossible to exchange the vehicle or to be reimbursed.